Calcitonin injection (Salmocalcin) - sanofi-aventisAlternative Names: Salcatonin injection - sanofi-aventis; Salmocalcin; Salmocalcin Base
Latest Information Update: 01 Aug 2012
At a glance
- Originator Sanofi Winthrop
- Class Antihypercalcaemics; Calcium regulators; Neuropeptides; Osteoporosis therapies; Peptide hormones
- Mechanism of Action Calcitonin stimulants
Orphan Drug Status
Orphan designation is assigned by a regulatory body to encourage companies to develop drugs for rare diseases.
On Fast track
Fast track status is assigned by the US FDA so therapies with the potential to address unmet needs can move faster through development.
- New Molecular Entity No
Highest Development Phases
- Marketed Hypercalcaemia; Osteitis deformans; Postmenopausal osteoporosis
Most Recent Events
- 20 Jul 2012 The European Medicines Agency recommended that due to an increased risk of cancer associated with long-term use, calcitonin medicines should only be used for the shortest possible time using the minimum effective dose .
- 27 Aug 2004 Sanofi-Synthélabo has merged with Aventis to form Sanofi-Aventis.
- 27 Aug 1999 Sanofi and Synthélabo have merged to form Sanofi-Synthélabo
Table of Contents
- At a glance
- Development Overview
- Drug Properties & Chemical Synopsis
- Development Status
- Commercial Information
- Related Safety Reports
- Scientific Summary
- Development History