Latest Information Update: 08 Feb 2008
At a glance
- Originator University of Florida
- Developer GelTex Pharmaceuticals; Watson Pharma
- Class Small molecules
- Mechanism of Action Chelating agents
Orphan Drug Status
Orphan designation is assigned by a regulatory body to encourage companies to develop drugs for rare diseases.
On Fast track
Fast track status is assigned by the US FDA so therapies with the potential to address unmet needs can move faster through development.
Highest Development Phases
- Discontinued Iron overload
Most Recent Events
- 04 Apr 2003 No development reported - Preclinical for Iron overload in USA (unspecified route)
- 21 Dec 2000 GelTex Pharmaceuticals has been acquired by Genzyme Corporation
- 22 Oct 1999 Preclinical development for Iron overload in USA (Unknown route)