Calcitonin inhalation - Otsuka PharmaceuticalAlternative Names: Calcitonin ODPI - Otsuka Pharmaceutical; OPC-246; OPC-249
Latest Information Update: 02 Sep 2015
At a glance
- Originator Otsuka Pharmaceutical
- Class Antihypercalcaemics; Calcium regulators; Neuropeptides; Osteoporosis therapies; Peptide hormones
- Mechanism of Action Calcitonin receptor agonists
Orphan Drug Status
Orphan designation is assigned by a regulatory body to encourage companies to develop drugs for rare diseases.
On Fast track
Fast track status is assigned by the US FDA so therapies with the potential to address unmet needs can move faster through development.
- New Molecular Entity No
Highest Development Phases
- Discontinued Musculoskeletal pain
Most Recent Events
- 20 Jul 2012 The European Medicines Agency recommended that due to an increased risk of cancer associated with long-term use, calcitonin medicines should only be used for the shortest possible time using the minimum effective dose .
- 26 Feb 2009 Inhaled calcitonin is still in phase II trials for pain due to osteoporosis (Musculoskeletal pain) in Japan